Article I: Organization Name
The name of the organization shall be African Student Association.
Article II: Purpose Statement
The African Student Association is etablished for the expressed purpose of developing leadership skills as well as an awareness of social responsibilites to encourage students to participate in public affairs
Article III: Membership and ELigibility Criteria
Section A: Membership is open to any enrolled MU student, the faculty and staff
Section B: Dues and collection procedures (if any)
The amount of annual dues shall be determined each year by Executive board of the Organization and approved by 2/3 of the active members.
Dues shall not exceed $25 per year. The disbursement of dues shall not be based on race, creed, religion, sex, or national origin.
Section C: A member may be removed from the organization
THe organization and its members agree to adhere to city, state, and national laws, to the Student Code of Conduct, and the RSO Handbook.
Section D: Removal of membership procedures
Any member may have their membership revocked by two-thirds vote of the Executive Board. Any memeber removed may appeal to the general membership. Said member shall be considered reinstated with two-thirds approval of the members.
Article IV: Voting
Section A: A quorum will be at least 2/3 of all executive member and committe chairs present.
Section B: Each member in good standing may vote.
Section C: Proxy voting is allowed by the following process: A proxy vote will be allowed for only executive members. An executive board member should send in a valid request for their abscense seven days before election in order to consider their vote valid
Article V: Officers
Section A: The (ASA) shall have a President, Vice-President, Secretary and/or Treasurer, Advisor. These officers comprise the Executive Committee or Board.
Section B: All officers must be members of (ASA) for at least one semester and currently enrolled within Mercer University.
Section C: The term of office shall be from the 2nd Thursday of September to the end of the academic year (June 1).
Section D: Election of officers shall be held annually(annually/monthly)
Section E: Any officers may be removed from the membership by two-thirds vote of the Exec Board. ANy officer removed may appeal to the general membership. Said officer shall be considered reinstated with the two-thirds approval of the members.
Section F: Any vacancy which may occur in an office shall be filled by appointment by the president pending ratification at the next group business meeting.
Section G: The Advisor must be a full time faculty or staff member within Mercer University.
Article: Duties of Officers Defined
Section A:The President
- The president shall be the chief executive officer
- The president shall appoint all committee chairpersons
- The president, with approval of the executive board, directs the budget
- Vacancies in offices will be filled by appointment of the President with approval of the general membership.
Section B: The Vice President
- The vice president shall be the parliamentarian for the organization.
- The vice president shall assume the duties of the president should the office become vacant, or in the absence of the president
- The vice president will keep and have available current copies of the constitution and bylaws
- The vice president willl be responsible for scheduling programs.
Section C: The Secretary
- The secretary shall be responsible for keeping the minutes of all meetings and the meetings of the executive board.
- The secretary will provide a copy of the minutes for each officer and keep a master file.
- The secretary shall maintain a complete and accurate account of attendance and membership status
Section D: Treasurer
- The treasurer shall keep a current record of all financial transactions.
- The treasurer shall develop quaterly reports containing a list of all receipts and disbursements and distribute them amoung the membership.
- The treasurer will be responsible for checking the accuracy of all bills and invoices and paying them correctly and on time
- The treasurer will perform other duties as directed by the president
Section C: Advisor
- The advisor shall assist the group in their execution of rolesand responsibilites.
- The advisor shall provide feedback to the organization regarding its operation and functioning.
- The advisor shall provide serve as a resource
- The advisor should provide advise upon request, and also should share knowledge, expertise, and experience with the group
- The advsisor will be a nonvoting member of the organization.
Article VIII: Group Committee Structure:
Section A: The following committees (other than Executive Board) shall be appointed by the President subject to reatification by the organization during a regular business meeting
- Programming Committee
- Publicity Committee
- Fundraising Committee
Section B: The duties of the standing committees shall include: Fulfilling designated assignments as requested. The committees are responsible for organizing and conducting special activities and/or projects throughout the year.
Article VIII: Notice of Meetings
Section A: The times for regularly scheduled meetings shall be: every third Thursday of each monthin the Academic Year
Section B: At least 7 days notice shall be given for each regular business meeting.
Section C: Special or emergency meetings may be called with less than 48 hours/days notice by thr Executive Board.
Section D: The meetings shall include a quorum, order of business, and disposition of the minutes.
ASA members meetings will follow the procedur set forth below:
- Report by the President
- Vote on all committee motions and decisions
- Any other business put forward by the members of the club
- Dismissal by the President
Article IX: Parliamentary Procedure
Section A: Robert ' Rules of Ordered Revised shall be followed by the organization in all cases involving parliamentary procedure when it does not conflict with the constitution.
Section B: The rules may be suspended by two-thirds vote of the present membership.